Board Minutes - 19 April 2011

Public Version
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board

19 April 2011 - 10.00am
RACV Club, 501 Bourke Street. Melbourne VIC 3000

Present:
Tony Staley (Chair), Kim Heitman, Chris Disspain, Julie Hammer, Graham McDonald, Josh Rowe, Marty Drill, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Amin Kroll, George Pongas, Rosemary Sinclair

Observers:
Keith Besgrove (DBCDE), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA-Minutes), Derek Whitehead (item 7), Richard Westlake

Apologies:
Dwayne Varey


  1. Continuous Disclosure
    • Cheryl Langdon-Orr disclosed she has now taken the position of Vice-Chair for the ICANN At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) and will now be the ccNSO Liaison.
    • Julie Hammer advised she has been appointed to the Council of the Australian War Memorial.
    • Marty Drill advised his company is currently working with auDA on the ANZIA Awards website.
  2. Confirmation of February 2011 Minutes
    The minutes of the 21 February 2011 Board meeting were confirmed.
  3. Finance Report
    • The Board noted the March 2011 accounts.
  4. CEO Report
    • The CEO report was noted.
    • Cost recovery from the Australian Style court case is still progressing. The question was asked if personal guarantees or insurance should be requested from Registrars in future. The board agreed this issue should be referred to the next Industry Panel.
    • The board noted that complaints to auDA have been decreasing since December 2010. This allows staff to increase audit activities, with a focus on particular compliance issues.

    DNSSEC:
    • The board noted the DNSSEC Recommendations report provided by AusRegistry.
    • The board was advised the SSAC would meet in early May to discuss and review the AusRegistry DNSSEC Recommendations report. The SSAC, AusRegistry & auDA Staff will provide the Board with a full briefing and presentation at the August Board meeting (tbc).
    • Keith Besgrove requested permission to circulate the DNSSEC report within the Department which was agreed by the Board.
    • It was suggested a get-together be arranged at ICANN Singapore for auDA Board members to discuss DNSSEC issues with other ccTLDs that have already implemented DNSSEC.
    • Cheryl Langdon-Orr advised she would send a link to the Board to the current ALAC list on issues with DNSSEC.

    • The Board was advised a Working Group of industry and consumer representatives has been formed to examine the operation of the .au domain name secondary market. Keith Besgrove advised the Department is interested in the outcome of this process.
  5. Membership
    The following membership applications were approved in the classes indicated:

    Name of Applicant Class
    KG Project Services Pty Ltd Demand
    ACCAN Demand
    Mark Galea Demand
    Sean Fogarty Demand
    Andrew Wright Demand
    Angelo Dounis Demand
    Martin Speedie Demand
    Ian Halson Demand
    Katie Halson Demand
    Angelina Potapova Demand
    Mark Lye Demand
    Pacific Fund Pty Ltd Demand
    [email protected] Pty Ltd    Demand
    Mark Paton Demand
    Kimberley Lowton Demand
    Peter Callaghan Demand
    Dotrader Pty Ltd Demand

    • In accordance with Clause 12.2 of the auDA Constitution, for administrative purposes, the Board resolved the applicable annual membership fee at the time of application will be set at $0.00 and the entrance fee (payable on application for membership) will be equivalent to the annual membership fee for each class of auDA membership.
    Carried

    • The Board & Membership Structure Sub-Committee final report was circulated to the Board for discussion & comments. The Recommendations were:
    1. Appointment of “Life Members” or “Special Members” of auDA.
    2. An “auDA knowledge base” comprising information about auDA, the history of .au, .au policy, etc.
    3. An “auDA Member” logo or mark which auDA members could choose to display on their website.
    4. A quarterly electronic newsletter for auDA members.
    5. Regular online surveys for auDA members on a range of topics.
    6. Regular networking events and/or training seminars for auDA members.

    Since this report had not been circulated until the morning of the meeting, it was agreed that substantial discussion and consideration of the recommendations should be held over until the June 2011 Board Meeting. It was noted that Recommendation 1 would require changes to the auDA Constitution, to be put to members at the AGM. To better inform the June discussion, the Board decided the CEO should instruct Maddocks to draft a constitutional change for review. To assist in consideration of Recommendations 3, the Board also decided the CEO should request information from Maddocks regarding legal liability issues of an ‘auDA Member’ Logo.

    Julie Hammer noted that the recommendation to make no changes to the current auDA Board structure was only made after the Sub-committee had thoroughly reviewed a variety of Board structures and other proposals for change and concluded that none considered offered worthwhile improvement. Keith Besgrove advised the TIO is currently being reviewed, which may be of interest to auDA in terms of board structures. The Board requested links and information to be provided when available.

    The CEO advised the Board that Maddocks have been instructed to prepare a Confidentiality Agreement for appointed Board members.
  6. Policy Development
    2010 Names Policy Panel:
    • Derek Whitehead, Chair of the 2010 Names Policy Panel, provided a summary and status to-date. Draft recommendations are currently with the Panel for responses, after which time the recommendations will be sent out for public comment. The final panel report is due to be submitted to the auDA Board at the August 2011 meeting.
    • Richard Westlake thanked Derek Whitehead for allowing Westlake staff to sit in on the last Panel meeting in an observer capacity.
  7. Board Correspondence
    There was no Board correspondence.
  8. Other Business
    • The CEO asked Board members to advise as soon as possible if they wished to attend the ICANN Singapore meeting in June 2011.
    • Cheryl Langdon-Orr advised the APrIGF will be held in Singapore on 15 & 16 June 2011 and suggested those attending ICANN Singapore should also attend the APrIGF if available.
  9. .au Governance Review
    Richard Westlake held a consultation with the auDA Board on the .au Governance Review.
  10. Next Meeting
    The next board meeting will be held on Tuesday 14 June 2010 at 11.00am.