Board Minutes - 18 February 2013
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board
18 February 2013, 11.00am
.au Domain Administration Limited. 114 Cardigan Street. Carlton VIC 3053
Tony Staley (Chair), Julie Hammer, Josh Rowe, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, George Pongas, Kartic Srinivasan, Paul Levins, Graham McDonald, Stuart Benjamin, Erhan Karabardak, Chris Disspain
Peter Nettlefold (DBCDE), John Higgins (NexiaASR), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA - Minutes)
- Continuous Disclosure
Josh Rowe advised he had concluded his role at Tarazz and is now undertaking independent consulting work. He currently has no conflict of interests
- Confirmation of December 2012 Minutes
The minutes of the 10 December 2012 Board meeting were confirmed
- Finance Report
The Board noted the January 2013 accounts
Following implementation of the $3M term deposit investments, Nexia will prepare an investment proposal for the Finance Committee to consider with a view to the Committee making a recommendation to the April 2013 Board meeting
- CEO Report
The CEO report was noted
The Governance Committee previously recommended that an update on the Strategic and Operational plans would be included in each CEO report to the Board. The Committee has now agreed this will be done via a quarterly report, with the next quarterly update due at the end of March 2013
• The CEO advised that the 2013 ANZIAs are likely to be held in New Zealand in conjunction with an IGF meeting. There will also be a separate Australian IGF meeting. Details will be advised in due course
Motion (moved C Langdon-Orr, seconded Paul Levins)
Proposed constitutional changes (Westlake): The Board approved the proposed constitutional changes to be put to members at an EGM on 22 April 2013
- AusRegistry Presentation
Adrian Kinderis-CEO and Maggie Whitnall-Client Services Manager-.au, attended from AusRegistry and gave a presentation on the .au Survey ‘Establishing a Base’, .auLOCKDOWN and the state of the .au name space
- Policy Development
2012 Industry Advisory Panel:
The 2012 Industry Advisory Panel Final report and recommendations were circulated to the Board for review and approval. The Board passed the following resolutions (proposed J Rowe, seconded J Hammer):
That the Board accept recommendation 1A:
a) the competitive registry model should be retained;
b) auDA should initiate renegotiations with AusRegistry to extend contractual arrangements for 2, 3 or 4 years;
c) auDA should seek stakeholder input on relevant negotiating factors prior to the renegotiations with AusRegistry;
d) if renegotiations with AusRegistry fail, auDA should proceed to conduct a formal RFT process; and
e) the auDA Board should publicly commit to undertaking a formal RFT process once the renegotiated registry agreement expires.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 1B - that auDA should retain the current single registry for existing .au 2LDs, while allowing the option for the introduction of multiple registries in the future.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 2A - that auDA should revise the fees for registrar accreditation, to better reflect the direct costs of the accreditation process and ongoing regulation.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 2B - that:
a) current requirements for ASIC and ATO registration for overseas-based registrars should be retained; and
b) overseas-based registrars should be required to bear the reasonable costs of a site visit by an auDA staff member during provisional accreditation.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 2C - that the requirement for applicants for registrar accreditation to act as a reseller of another registrar for at least 6 months, or show equivalent experience, should be retained.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 2D - that the registrar accreditation process and criteria should be the same for all applicants, regardless of their proposed business model.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 3 - that the auDA Board adopt the auDA Information Security Standard (ISS) as a mandatory requirement for accredited registrars, and take appropriate steps to finalise the ISS documentation and processes and ensure its prompt and effective implementation.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 4A - the retention of the current .au industry model for auDA, registrar and reseller inter-relationships.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 4B - that auDA develop a standardised agreement template that registrars may use in their reseller contracts.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 4C - that auDA develop and implement a system for adding a reseller “contact object” to the registry database, including a “reseller contact ID”, name and email address, and that auDA should be responsible for managing this mechanism for recording resellers.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 5A - that no changes be made to the current .au transfer authorisation process.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 5B - that bulk registrar transfers be allowed in the case of mergers and acquisitions, and that auDA ensure that the process includes appropriate registrant protections, including mandatory registrant notification and the opportunity to “transfer out”.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 5C: that bulk reseller transfers be allowed, and that auDA ensure that the process includes appropriate registrar and registrant protections, including mandatory notification to the losing registrar, registrant notification and the opportunity for registrants to “transfer out”.
• That the Board accept Recommendation 6 - that auDA assume responsibility for facilitating regular review and updating of the .au Domain Name Suppliers’ Code of Practice in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
• George Pongas left the room and abstained from voting on Recommendations 1A and 1B to avoid any possible conflict of interest.
• Kartic Srinisivan remained in the room but abstained from voting on Recommendations 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D to avoid any possible conflict of interest.
- Board Committee Updates
Finance & Audit Committee:
• The Committee meeting minutes of 13 February 2012 were approved for publication.
Governance, Board Succession & Remuneration Committee:
• The Committee chair gave a brief status update and advised the Committee is investigating options for a full day Directors Course and will advise details in due course.
Strategic Risk Committee:
• The Committee chair gave a brief status update.
• The Committee is meeting for the first time this year immediately after the Board meeting.
The following membership applications were approved in the classes indicated (Moved S Benjamin, seconded C Langdon-Orr):
Name of Applicant Class Netfleet Supply Miguel Wood Demand
- Board Correspondence
There was no Board correspondence.
- Other Business
There was no other business.
- Next Meeting
The next board meeting will be held on Monday 22 April 2013 at 11.00am at Maddocks and will be a Public auDA Board meeting.